Back to Announcements Home
Beads of Courage in Space! Contest!
How would you like one of your beady creations to take a ride on the Space Shuttle? We’re not kidding! As part of TEAM Beads of Courage we send handmade beads on special journeys and when they return they’re presented to Beads of Courage kids. NASA is joining TEAM Beads of Courage and will be taking some TEAM Beads of Courage for a ride into outer space with astronauts on the next shuttle launch!
Here’s the Scoop:
1. Entry fee for this contest is $15.00 for every three beads submitted.
2. All beads become property of Beads of Courage (BOC). If your beads are chosen (by BOC jury) they will blast off on a space shuttle and be presented to BOC Member kids upon their return as a source of enCOURAGEment from TEAM Beads of Courage!
3. Beads not making the shuttle will be used for other BOC purposes including but not limited to: fundraising web site sales, online sales, as Acts of Courage beads for kids, fundraising sales displays, as jewelry components, etc. all benefitting BOC in some way.
4. Any and all beads may be photographed by BOC and used for promotional materials for Beads of Courage, including but not limited to: publications, posters, postcards, blog entries, online promotions and marketing.
5. Credit will be given to artists in publications and elsewhere.
6. You agree to the above by entering the contest.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Create a space-themed glass bead no larger than 1.25” (31mm) in any dimension. That means it will fit into a 1/26” square box. Why so small? We would like to send as many as we can into orbit!) All beads need 3/32” hole all the way through, or larger.
2. ALL BEADS MUST BE ANNEALED IN A KILN AND HAVE CLEAN HOLES, NO SHARP EDGES!
3. Fill out and sign this entire document and application.
4. Include your US check or US money order for $15.00 (for every three beads) payable to Beads of Courage, Inc.
5. Include a 3”x5” card indicating your name and contact information and where you would like any web links directed for marketing purposes. Indicate bead titles and values. Include a one to two sentence message that you would like delivered to a child, or your thoughts about Beads of Courage (these messages may be quoted in media). TYPE or PRINT CLEARLY.
6. Mail all four to:
Lori Greenberg, Director of Development
Beads of Courage
34522 N. Scottsdale Rd, #D8453
Scottsdale, AZ 85266
1. Jury will consist of three to five individuals, beadmakers and nonbeadmakers, arranged by Beads of Courage.
2. Jurors will be looking for space-themed beads that children will like and be able to recognize as space themed.
3. Jurors will meet in person and will not know the identity of beadmakers until after selection.
TEAM Beads of Courage Goals:
1. To provide a meaningful way for supporters of Beads of Courage to connect with the children we serve;
2. To provide a BOOST of enCOURAGEment for children who participate in Beads of Courage when they receive a TEAM bead;
3. To bring JOY and INSPIRIRATION to every child who receives a TEAM BOC bead;
4. To SPARK IMAGINATION of every child who receives a TEAM BOC bead; “where has your TEAM bead been? Who carried it?”
5. To generate revenue to support Beads of Courage in its mission to strengthen resilience and well-being of children coping with cancer and other serious illness through arts-in-medicine programs.
1. April 12, 2010 - Deadline for submissions. Beads must be IN HAND at the above address by end of business day (5:00 p.m. Arizona time zone) April 12, 2010. Not “postmarked by,” but IN HAND, to be considered. Any beads received after that date will be returned upon receipt of return postage from the recipient. If no return postage is received within 7 days of notification of missed deadline, all Beads become property of Beads of 2010 © Beads of Courage – Beads in Space 3 Courage and may be used for purposes as stated above, to directly benefit Beads of Courage.
2. April 14, 2010 – Jury Process, Beads sent to NASA and extra beads to Beads of Courage
3. April 15, 2010 - Notification on Lampwork Etc. forum (http://lampworketc.com) and on the Beads of Courage Blog (http://beadsofcourage.org/blog) of beads to be whisking into space! Beadmakers with beads heading to space will be contacted directly by email.
4. April 15, and beyond – Watch for space beads to be used in publications, online blog entries, as topics of stories and more!
5. May 14, 2010 –Beads to blast off on the Space Shuttle! Please direct all communications and questions via email to:
Lori Greenberg, Director of Development: email@example.com. To find out more about TEAM Beads of Courage, visit: http://www.beadsofcourage.org/pages/teamboc.htm. Usually a TEAM Beads of Courage athlete carries two beads, keeps one and a child gets the other. Due to weight restrictions, only the child’s bead will be heading into space and the astronauts will receive other BOC items as mementos of thanks.
Back to Announcements Home